Category 1

Blanche will face questions from lawmakers over a nearly $1.8B fund to compensate Trump allies

WASHINGTON (AP) — Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche will appear on Capitol Hill Tuesday for his first congressional testimony since taking the reins at the Justice Department as the law enforcement agency faces intense scrutiny over its plans to create a$1.776 billion fund to pay allies of the Republican presidentwho believe they were targeted politically.

Associated Press Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche attends the 45th Annual National Peace Officers' Memorial Service at the U.S. Capitol, Friday, May 15, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon) Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche announces that former FBI Director James Comey has been indicted, at the Justice Department in Washington, Tuesday, April 28, 2026. (AP Photo/Cliff Owen)

Vance Police Week

Blanche's testimony before a Senate appropriations subcommittee follows Monday's announcement about the creation of the “Anti-Weaponization Fund,” which critics decried as an illegal abuse of power designed to line the pockets of Trump supporters with taxpayer dollars.

In the weeks sinceassuming control of the Justice Department, Blanche has moved aggressively to advance the president's priorities —pushing forward casesagainst Trump's political foes, cracking down on leaks to media outlets and establishing the new fund to compensate those who believe they were mistreated by the Biden administration Justice Department.

Tuesday’s hearing is meant to address the Trump administration's budget request for the Justice Department but is likely to delve into other controversies that have escalated concerns about theerosion of the law enforcement agency's tradition of independencefrom the White House.

Advertisement

Blanche is expected to face tough questions from lawmakers about the fund designed to resolve Trump's lawsuitagainst the Internal Revenue Serviceover the leak of his tax returns. Nearly 100 Democrats in the House of Representatives signed onto a legal brief urging a judge to block what they described as an unprecedented resolution that they said would unjustly enrich people close to the president and open the door to meritless claims of political persecution.

“Let’s call this what it is: a billion-dollar slush fund for Trump to reward felons, insurrectionists, and cronies, paid for by YOUR taxpayer dollars,” Democratic Sen. Chris Coons, a member of the subcommittee from Delaware, wrote on X. “It’s bad enough that this DOJ believes it works for Donald Trump. Now, it’s giving him its budget to use as his piggy bank.”

Blanche said Monday the fund will allow for people who believe they were targeted for prosecution for political purposes to apply for payouts, creating what he described as “a lawful process for victims of lawfare and weaponization to be heard and seek redress.”

“The machinery of government should never be weaponized against any American, and it is this Department’s intention to make right the wrongs that were previously done while ensuring this never happens again,” Blanche said in a statement.

The fund is a further demonstration of the administration’s eagerness to reward allies who before Trump came to power were investigated and in some cases charged and convicted. Most notably,the president on his first day back in office pardoned or commutedthe sentences of supporters who rioted at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021. His Justice Department since then hasapproved payouts to supporters entangled in the Trump-Russia investigationandinvestigated and prosecuted some of his perceived adversaries.

Blanche will face questions from lawmakers over a nearly $1.8B fund to compensate Trump allies

WASHINGTON (AP) — Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche will appear on Capitol Hill Tuesday for his first congressional testimony since ...
Bubba Wallace's status in No. 23 car for 2027 NASCAR season revealed

Bubba Wallace had a very strong start to the 2026 NASCAR Cup Series season, but it has fallen apart over the last month. Entering the 2026 Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway, Wallace sits 10th in the point standings, which is a massive drop from second place. So, is the 23XI Racing driver's ride in jeopardy for 2027?

USA TODAY

Wallace is in an option year and expected to return to the No. 23 car for 23XI Racing in 2027, asreported by FOX Sports' Bob Pockrass. Since Wallace has a contract option, 23XI Racing must decide on his future in 2026. Quite frankly, it is a very easy choice for the NASCAR team.

Advertisement

Since 2021, Wallace has brought 23XI Racing to new levels, and his performance on the race track has improved. There are very few drivers who could be an upgrade over the 32-year-old competitor, but replacing him makes no sense anyway. Wallace has found a home at 23XI Racing, and he should be expected to return in 2027.

More:23XI Racing's likely replacement for Riley Herbst in 2027 revealed

This article originally appeared on Motorsports Wire:Bubba Wallace's status in No. 23 car for 2027 NASCAR season revealed

Bubba Wallace's status in No. 23 car for 2027 NASCAR season revealed

Bubba Wallace had a very strong start to the 2026 NASCAR Cup Series season, but it has fallen apart over the last month. Entering the 2...
Sweden to buy navy frigates from France for over $4 billion

By Johan Ahlander

Reuters

STOCKHOLM, May 19 (Reuters) - Sweden said on Tuesday it had chosen France's Naval Group to supply four new frigates ‌for its navy, with the first delivery expected in 2030 at ‌a total cost of some 40 billion Swedish crowns ($4.25 billion).

The purchase of the French Defence ​and Intervention (FDI) frigate model will be Sweden's biggest military investment since the 1980s, Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson told a press conference.

Sweden is racing to build up its military in the wake of Russia's invasion of Ukraine and the Nordic ‌country's subsequent accession to ⁠NATO, with the new frigates representing a significant expansion of maritime defence capabilities.

The government has requested that several weapons systems ⁠developed in Sweden, including by Saab, can be utilised by the vessels, Defence Minister Pal Jonson said.

Each vessel is expected to cost around 10 billion Swedish ​crowns, ​depending on the exact weapons systems on ​board, with the first delivery ‌expected to take place in 2030, Jonson said.

Advertisement

The right-wing government, one of Ukraine's staunchest backers in Europe, has said it expects to reach NATO targets for military spending of 3.5% of GDP already in 2030, several years ahead of the alliance's deadline.

The new frigates will be the largest surface ‌warships in Sweden's navy and have an expected ​lifespan of some 40 years, the government ​has previously said.

Naval won the ​race in competition with a joint bid by Britain's ‌Babcock and Saab as well as one ​from Spain's Navantia.

The ​frigates are seen as a key component of Sweden's air defence and protecting the Baltic Sea. In addition to the four frigates Sweden ​has five smaller ‌Visby-class corvettes and is currently upgrading its fleet of submarines.

($1 = 9.4037 ​Swedish crowns)

(Reporting by Johan Ahlander and Soren Jeppesen, editing by Terje ​Solsvik, Essi Lehto and Niklas Pollard)

Sweden to buy navy frigates from France for over $4 billion

By Johan Ahlander STOCKHOLM, May 19 (Reuters) - Sweden said on Tuesday it had chosen France's Naval Group to supply four new ...
China denounces Taiwan foreign minister's Geneva visit amid WHO assembly

BEIJING/TAIPEI, May 18 (Reuters) - China said on Monday it opposed countries providing platforms for "Taiwan independence separatist" activities, after Taiwan's foreign minister arrived in Switzerland for events on ‌the sidelines of a World Health Organization (WHO) meeting.

Reuters

China said last week it would once again ‌not allow Taiwan, which Beijing views as its own territory, to take part in the WHO's annual World Health ​Assembly (WHA), which takes place this week.

But as in previous years, Taiwan has sent a delegation to hold its own meetings and this year Foreign Minister Lin Chia-lung has also gone, joining Health Minister Shih Chung-liang.

"The Taiwan authorities' practice of sending people around the world to wedge into conferences to grab attention ‌is nothing more than the behaviour ⁠of petty clowns," Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Guo Jiakun told reporters in Beijing.

"It will only bring humiliation on themselves and is doomed to fail," Guo ⁠said.

Taiwan's government rejects Beijing's sovereignty claims and says China has no right to represent or speak for the island internationally.

Lin announced his arrival in Geneva on Facebook on Sunday, and on Monday President Lai Ching-te ​sent ​a video message to a forum Taiwan is holding ​in Geneva.

"By joining the WHO, Taiwan could ‌better ensure the right to health for all our people, and do even more to support the rest of the world," Lai said.

Advertisement

PARTICIPATION BLOCKED SINCE 2017

In his current capacity Lin is not known to have previously visited non-EU member Switzerland, which like most countries maintains formal diplomatic ties with Beijing rather than Taipei and has a free trade agreement with China.

However, since becoming foreign minister ‌in 2024, Lin has made several trips to other ​European countries, including Austria, the Czech Republic, Poland, the ​Netherlands and Italy, drawing anger in Beijing.

Taiwan ​attended the WHA as an observer from 2009 to 2016 under the administration ‌of then-President Ma Ying-jeou, who signed landmark ​trade and tourism pacts ​with China.

But Beijing began blocking Taiwan's participation in 2017, after then-President Tsai Ing-wen won office, for her refusal to agree to its position that both China and Taiwan were part ​of "one China".

Lai has continued Tsai's ‌policy.

"International organisations, including the WHO, must handle Taiwan-related issues in accordance with the one-China ​principle," Guo said.

(Reporting by Liz Lee in Beijing and Ben Blanchard in Taipei; Editing ​by Christian Schmollinger, Kate Mayberry and Thomas Derpinghaus)

China denounces Taiwan foreign minister's Geneva visit amid WHO assembly

BEIJING/TAIPEI, May 18 (Reuters) - China said on Monday it opposed countries providing platforms for "Taiwan independence separati...
Rui Hachimura credits Phil Handy for helping him improve his shooting

When theLos Angeles Lakerstraded for Rui Hachimura in January 2023, he was a young player still looking to establish an identity. The Lakers saw him as a player they could mold into someone who would help them establish an identity and become a winning team.

USA TODAY

He played well for the rest of the season and stepped up during the playoffs to help them reach the Western Conference finals. At the time, the scouting report on him was that he was a one-on-one player who was very consistent from the mid-range area. But as time went on, he added a new weapon: the 3-point shot.

In each of the next three seasons, he made over 41% of his 3-point shots. In this year's postseason, he made a stunning 56.9% of his 3-point tries, which gave him the NBA's record for the highest career playoff 3-point accuracy — at least for now — at 51.6%.

Advertisement

After the Lakers were swept in the Western Conference semifinals by the Oklahoma City Thunder, Hachimurawas askedhow he felt he had changed the most since coming to Los Angeles, and he gave former Lakers assistant coach Phil Handy credit for helping him expand his game beyond the arc.

“Shout out to coach Phil [Handy],” Hachimura said. “Phil Handy, he was the one that talked me through a lot of stuff, what I can do to stay in this league. Not only this team, but stay in this league. I can make an impact on this team, especially.

“The first thing that he talked about is (3-pointers). I think that was the biggest thing for me because, honestly, I don’t like shooting threes. That’s not my thing for me. For me, I don’t really like it. But with the team situation, how (head coach) JJ [Redick] coaches, he wants me to shoot a lot of threes. It was a different game for me, but I had to do it. That was the biggest thing that I think changed.”

Handy, who was on the Lakers' coaching staff from 2019 to 2024, is regarded as arguably the best player development coach in the NBA. Not only did he help Hachimura become the player he is today, but so did LeBron James, whoworked with and mentoredHachimura during the 2023 offseason.

The forward is about to become a free agent this summer after making $18.26 million this season. He recently said that heloves the Lakers, but keeping him may not be easy, as James, Austin Reaves and multiple other Lakers players can or will be free agents as well. Making the math work, not to mention also bringing in at least one outside free agent who can make a difference, will likely be complicated.

This article originally appeared on LeBron Wire:Rui Hachimura credits Phil Handy for helping him improve his shooting

Rui Hachimura credits Phil Handy for helping him improve his shooting

When theLos Angeles Lakerstraded for Rui Hachimura in January 2023, he was a young player still looking to establish an identity. The L...
European shares fall as inflation worries grip markets

May 18 (Reuters) - European shares sank on Monday, with oil prices rising and bonds extending ‌their sell-off, as inflation worries continued with ‌no signs of a deal between the U.S. and Iran.

Reuters The German share price index DAX graph is pictured at the stock exchange in Frankfurt, Germany, May 15, 2026.     REUTERS/staff A man walks in front of an electronic screen displaying Japan's Nikkei stock prices quotation board inside a conference hall in Tokyo, Japan, April 27, 2026. REUTERS/Issei Kato FILE PHOTO: Bank of Japan Governor Kazuo Ueda speaks during a press conference after a BOJ policy meeting in Tokyo, Japan, April 28, 2026. REUTERS/Kim Kyung-Hoon/File Photo U.S. dollar banknote and decreasing stock graph are seen in this illustration taken April 25, 2025. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration An employee works on the production line for solar panels at a factory of GCL System Integration Technology in Hefei, Anhui province, China May 16, 2024.  China Daily via REUTERS FILE PHOTO: Cargo ships in the Gulf, near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from northern Ras al-Khaimah, near the border with Oman’s Musandam governance, amid the U.S.-Israeli conflict with Iran, in United Arab Emirates, March 11, 2026./File Photo FILE PHOTO: Boxes of Coca-Cola are seen at a grocery store in Los Angeles, California U.S. November 21, 2017. REUTERS/Lucy Nicholson/File Photo German Bundesbank President Joachim Nagel speaks to reporters on the sidelines of the the IMF/World Bank 2026 Spring Meetings in Washington, D.C., U.S., April 16, 2026. REUTERS/Elizabeth Frantz Australia’s Prime Minister Anthony Albanese reacts during a press conference, after the Governor-General, Sam Mostyn, received the Interim Report from the Royal Commission on Antisemitism and Social Cohesion in Sydney, Australia, April 30, 2026. REUTERS/Hollie Adams FILE PHOTO: Futures-options traders work on the floor at the New York Stock Exchange's NYSE American (AMEX) in New York City, U.S., May 5, 2026.  REUTERS/Brendan McDermid/File Photo FILE PHOTO: Traders work on the floor of New York Stock Exchange December 30, 2003, shortly after the opening bell in this time exposed photo. REUTERS/Jeff Christensen/File Photo Twilight falls over the Bangkok skyline on New Year's Eve, in Bangkok, Thailand, December 31, 2025. REUTERS/Chalinee Thirasupa

German share price index DAX graph is pictured at the stock exchange in Frankfurt

The pan-European ​STOXX 600 fell 0.7% to 602.52 points, as of 0703 GMT, after ending the previous week lower. Germany's DAX and France's CAC 40 were off 0.5% ‌and 1%, respectively.

A drone ⁠strike caused a fire at a nuclear power plant in the UAE, while ⁠Saudi Arabia reported intercepting three drones, with U.S. President Donald Trump warning that Iran must act "fast".

The U.S.-Israel ​war on ​Iran is in its ​third month, with Tehran ‌and Washington unable to come to a resolution as the vital Strait of Hormuz remains shuttered. Rising energy prices have fanned inflation fears and led to expectations of rate hikes from global central banks.

Advertisement

European ‌equities, with the region's dependence ​on oil imports, have been ​unable to catch up ​to pre-war levels while global indexes ‌have rebounded on AI-led optimism.

In ​early trading, ​AstraZeneca dipped 0.8%. The drugmaker's hypertension pill was approved in the U.S.

Sonova gained 4.1% after the ​world's biggest hearing ‌aid maker forecast higher sales and earnings ​for the 2026/27 financial year.

(Reporting by Twesha Dikshit; ​Editing by Harikrishnan Nair)

European shares fall as inflation worries grip markets

May 18 (Reuters) - European shares sank on Monday, with oil prices rising and bonds extending ‌their sell-off, as inflation worries con...
Rangers to 'try everything' for Moore return

Danny Rohl has confirmed that Rangers will work on re-signing Mikey Moore from Tottenham Hotspur this summer.(talkSPORT)

BBC

Advertisement

The Rangers manager also insists striker Youssef Chermiti will be a key player next season after reports linking the 21-year-old to Porto.(Daily Record - subscription required)

Rangers to 'try everything' for Moore return

Danny Rohl has confirmed that Rangers will work on re-signing Mikey Moore from Tottenham Hotspur this summer.(talkSPORT) Advertis...

 

GEAR MAG © 2015 | Distributed By My Blogger Themes | Designed By Templateism.com