Regina King hilariously compares Oscar win to first time smoking weed: 'Everything is kind of hypersensitive' Jordan HoffmanSeptember 8, 2025 at 12:00 AM 0 Lexie Moreland/WWD/Penske Media via Getty Regina King holding her Academy Award For many performers, their Oscar dreams go up in smoke as soon a...
- - Regina King hilariously compares Oscar win to first time smoking weed: 'Everything is kind of hypersensitive'
Jordan HoffmanSeptember 8, 2025 at 12:00 AM
0
Lexie Moreland/WWD/Penske Media via Getty
Regina King holding her Academy Award
For many performers, their Oscar dreams go up in smoke as soon as the winner's name is announced. This was not the case for Regina King at the 91st Academy Awards, where she won the Best Actress in a Supporting role prize for her work in If Beale Street Could Talk. The experience of winning was something she recently confessed reminded her a lot of taking her first toke.
When King appeared recently on Kelly Ripa's Let's Talk Off Camera podcast, the host asked her guest if she could describe how she felt getting the movie industry's top recognition.
"I'm just gonna say it," King replied. "If anyone has ever smoked weed before, the very first time you ever smoke weed, everything is kinda like you're looking through a crystal ball and everything is kind of hypersensitive that very first time."
MARK RALSTON/AFP via Getty
Regina King at the 91st Annual Academy Awards
She continued, "Those of us who still continue to smoke weed, you know, you're chasing that... And every now and then, you'll get a new strain and you're like, 'Oh, wow, that feels close to the first time or whatever,' but [it's] nothing like that first time."
King then declared that her Oscar win was "almost kind of like that. Like, I can hear the hairs on my arms raised. I can hear what it sounded like for my mom to grab my hand. Like, my senses were really, really, really elevated in that moment. I can fully remember just how sweet it was for Chris [Evans] to help me up the steps. I remember looking at him... and it was almost a moment of him lookin' in my eyes [to say], 'You got it. It's happening and you got it, go on.'"
This is news that depraved reefer maniacs can use! Everyone ruining their lungs on bong hits or buying Tommy Chong-branded gummies off Instagram trying to chase, as King describes, that initial thrill, can put that junk aside! All anyone needs to do is win an Academy Award.
Later in the conversation, King explained to Ripa that "the camera is sitting there waiting to find out who's won," but this was not something that would cause her any worry.
"I may have been thinking, 'Keep your face straight if you don't win. Don't look salty,' because, you know, of course we wanna win, you know?"
She continued, "No one [takes] a role with, at least I believe, with the thought of 'I'm doing this because I want to win an Academy Award.' But, you know, when you get nominated, or when you get part of the conversation, [it's] 'oh sh--, okay. I'm showing up, you know, for this.'" And so the last thing I would want anyone to think is that I feel like anyone deserves it less or more."
Annapurna Pictures
Regina King in a promotional image from her Oscar-winning performance in "If Beale Street Could Talk"
With this sensitivity in mind, the Watchmen star added, "We are in a cancel culture right now and so it's, you know, one little... if I was looking candid like my mom, someone would have said it was an eye roll."
She joked, "I think I had that moment like, 'Keep your freaking face straight. Don't let disappointment register in any way. This is the time that all that you learned to do as an actor, girl, this is the time that you use it.'"
That stoic attitude, of course, soon dissipated once she realized she had won.
"It's when they say your name. That's when it all goes into the hypersensitive," she shared. "It all goes into, whooooooooaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh."
New Line Cinema
An image of Regina King in the very cannabis-forward motion picture 'Friday'
Sign up for Entertainment Weekly's free daily newsletter to get breaking TV news, exclusive first looks, recaps, reviews, interviews with your favorite stars, and more.
To listen to Regina King's chat with Kelly Ripa in its entirety, you can pack the bowl, turn on a blacklight, and press play on the link below.
on Entertainment Weekly
Source: "AOL Entertainment"
Source: GETTY MAG
Read More >> Full Article on Source: GETTY MAG
#LALifestyle #USCelebrities